Adoption

JANUARY 12, 2009

I walked into town today for probably the last time. This assuming that I can get a ride from Stephanie with my bags on the early morning of the 15th. I was able to get almost everything I wanted to get for my family, minus some coconut bars and some granola that I think tastes like Smacks cereal. Maybe others will trail into town before departure and they can get them for me. Here is a recipe I found for coconut bars (everyone's ultimate favorite thing), just in case they are not at the supermercado:
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • salt to taste
  • 2 cups shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine the ingredients in bowl, in the order given. Pour into 8" sq. pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Cool slightly, then cut into bars.

The ABCs of Camp Cooking is where I got this recipe. We have it in our makeshift bookshelf and refer to it occasionally, except that we can't get all of the ingredients here. It uses simple, on hand ingredients. I would like a cookbook that is "sans diary and oil-free". And I also want to learn how to steam bath a cake.

Maggie and her puppy were taken away today. Natalia and Margarita took them to two people from Mozambique who are temporarily adopting them until the puppy is finished nursing, and they can find them homes. I hope Maggie doesn't bite anyone. I bet that Margarita is pretty sad about it. It is definitely bittersweet.

Someone found a dead hawksbill at sector 48 today. Sad, sad news.
  [<--Previous Day]                                                                
[Next Day-->]

Comments

Popular Posts