Two more weeks...

I've been wanting to write something for awhile in reflection of my college career. As some of you may know, my 6 year college career is coming to a close in less than two weeks. I'm not sure how I really feel about that quite yet, but I do know that on June 14, 2008 at 10:00 AM, I am going to probably be more grateful than I have ever been in my entire life. I could never thank my parents enough, for helping me to achieve the gift of a college degree. They have put up with so much crap from and for me in this time.
  • In the past 6 years, I have gone to 3 different colleges, switched my major 5 times (counting dropping my Spanish minor), moved all my things to new living spaces 7, soon to be 8 times to new locations.
  • They have put up with my bad grades, dropped classes, and time off to get my head straight from aggressive roommates and legal disputes.
  • They have helped to babysit my second stray kitty I brought home, Makita (a.k.a. Mmkay, Bubbalow, MKK, ChicaChica, and the occasional 'bitch' and 'little fucker' when I'm really pissed that she's chewing on all my shit).
  • They have supported me emotionally when I just couldn't get a grip--protecting me from a disgruntled ex boyfriend for the past 3 and a half years, my struggles to stick with school, fears of losing my mother to some mysterious illness, low moments of depression, falling outs with best friends.
  • Having to put up with all my crazy, and impulsive ideas of travel and risk taking. I actually think they have finally begun to realize I was serious--with me leaving for Costa Rica in 5 months to live in a tent, on the beach, with no running water to save turtles. At this point, I kind of hope to never come back.
  • Should I even mention my tattoos? I think the first time I came home with 'Que Será Será' permanently inked on my arm, they were in such disbelief that I really did that to my body. I didn't make things any easier for myself with the third tattoo on my other forearm a month later... and even though number 4-7 represented my love for them, art and nature... well, haha... whatever.
  • Supporting me on my international journeys.
  • Really listening to me, respecting my opinions/feelings/desires, and letting me go... finally.
I'm thankful to be alive; thankful every day for everything and everyone who has been a part of my life for the past 6 years. I know I wouldn't be where I am today if none of that happened. I wouldn't have ended up at Wright State without my displeasures at Ohio State; wouldn't have become a leader for our college Amnesty International chapter if I hadn't gotten over my fears to be free and finally live; I wouldn't have gone to Chicago if I hadn't joined Amnesty; I wouldn't even have this blog if I hadn't met an inspiring international traveler at our hostel; I wouldn't have gone to Japan if I hadn't gone to Chicago and been inspired... it goes on. I needed those things to be here, right now sitting here, writing you on an early Sunday morning, writing my last few political science papers, for my last two weeks of college... maybe forever. Yes.

I believe... I believe that life is always what you make it--nothing more and nothing less. If you need something, find it; If you want something, go get it. I believe in things bigger than me, and in things that are smaller than me too. I believe I can do anything, and not because society told me that; nobody ever told me that. I believe because I can; I really truly can, have, and will. I don't think that consequence exists when you follow your heart. Maybe it's just as simple as knowing what you want, and being short with what you don't.


"What's left to lose, you've done enough
and if you fail well then you fail but not to us
cause these last three years, i know they've been hard
but now its time to get out of the desert and into the sun
even if its alone."


Comments

Popular Posts