Happy 39th Earth Day!



At this time last year, I was enthusiastically accepting a volunteer position with PRETOMA for a two month adventure in Costa Rica, living on the beautiful beach of Playa Caletas, saving endangered sea turtles. And as of late, it has been almost all that has been on my mind. Disappointingly, this year I spent the day helping my father paint the ceiling of my parent's lake house on Rocky Fork Lake. Quite a contrast, but the paint was low-fume and green ehrm, I mean white. Whatever. There was no doubt that I still had my dear Mother Earth on my mind, as always.

I'd never say that I've lost my environmental spirit. I don't think that, that is something that is remotely possible--my love for the environment has always been unconditional. But my spirit in the this godforsaken recession (or whatever it is that you want to call it) has gotten me pretty down at another one of those seemingly inopportune moments. Still, I am working as diligently as possible, zeroing on those "big-time" opportunities that could potentially advance my non-existent career.

Almost a month ago, I applied for an adventure guide position for a treetop zipline that is soon to be constructed here at the local Camp Kern. I am anxious to see if I get this position, and I hope to find out something soon. In the meantime, I have applied for administration positions for the EPA in Seattle, WA, and for a similar position for a NGO in San Francisco, CA. I feel like working back in an office for awhile might rekindle my appreciation for all of the hard work that is poured into the countless hours of research, phone calls, discussions, legal work, and legwork that goes into giving the people on the ground the power to push forward with environmental projects and field work. I could really use some disciplining in these areas, and I feel like I really need a job that might knock me on my tail end for a short time while I get everything figured out and organized. At least I am hoping for the opportunity, and I am hoping that others see how much I am salivating for the responsibility.

In the meantime, I am crossing my fingers and praying for the best. Hoping that the economy's unfortunate turn-of-events are not long term, and that the world is still on my side. I don't know if I could survive nature letting me down this time, too. I really need you to pull through for me, please. While I still have the fire and the fight left. Give me light.

Comments

Popular Posts