Illusions

I am almost finished reading Illusions by Richard Bach, and I have to say that at first I was in great admiration. I felt like this was perhaps that book that might inspire me to see something that I have yet to fully comprehend, or give me some sense of a firm ground to stand on until that next "level-up" experience. So far, it hasn't told me anything that I don't already practice, like:
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in it's hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.""Every person, all the events of your life are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you."
"Your conscience is the measure
of the honesty of your selfishness.
Listen to it carefully."

I'm not stating that I do not recommend this book... I just do not recommend it for myself. Personally, the storyline felt rushed and incomplete. I wanted there to be more to it. I wanted less interaction and more self-learning. More things happening, more visualizations. It's basically more of a guide/self-help book (oh shit Cooper!), than a novel, but the fact that it is fiction makes it as such.

Illusions is a novel about a man named Richard, whose love of flying and offering $3 plane rides in whatever Midwest farmer's field he so happens to land in, brings him to coincidentally cross paths with a well-known, famously disappearing Messiah, Donald Shimoda. The story is to teach you that reality is an illusion; that what obstacles you come across, physical or emotional, that it is all a matter of perception and manipulation to work through the situation effortlessly, rather than struggling to maneuver around it. Donald teaches such essentials as personal happiness; being your number one priority, even in the wake of hurting others. That choices are what make circumstances what they are, and every party has the right to react accordingly. The trick is reacting in such a way that remains constant to you; that there are no rules and you should never be ashamed of anything you say or do. That life is about two things really -- fun, and learning, and that you teach best what you most need to learn. Once you've reached a good understanding of something and can still remain neutral, or positive about it, then you are finally content with that particular increment.

Like I said, it has many wonderful messages for those who need to find it. I, on the other hand, already did. My next read needs to be off-the-wall. No more of this reality business. I'm in need of a 400 page dream world. Next!!

Oh, and happy National Grammar Day!


"Don't be dismayed at good-byes.

A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
And meeting, after moments or lifetimes,
is certain for those who are friends."


Comments

Popular Posts